Not sure what complementary and alternative therapies are? Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) is a way of treating patients with an array of healing philosophies, approaches and therapies that embrace a holistic approach to care - treating the mind, body and spirit. When a CAM therapy is used in addition to chemotherapy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy or surgery, it's referred to as a "complementary" therapy. When a therapy is used alone or instead of the proven standard of care, it's referred to as an "alternative" therapy.
Anyone affected by cancer and needing information
ACF™ is dedicated to the education, support and empowerment of those diagnosed with cancer by organizing and clarifying information. Provides information about:
- Living with Cancer
- Clinical Trials
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Nutrition and Exercise
- Oral Health
Anyone seeking information on chemotherapy or cancer
Chemocare.com® is a website designed to provide the latest information about chemotherapy to patients and their families, caregivers and friends. The site focuses on care during chemotherapy including information about FDA approved chemotherapy medications, nutrition, managing side effects and self-care tips. The content is continually updated and reviewed by oncology specialists.
People in the U.S. seeking scientific information on complementary health approaches
To define, through rigorous scientific investigation, the usefulness and safety of complementary and integrative health interventions and their roles in improving health and health care.
- Responds to inquiries via phone or email, and retrieves information from Federal databases of peer-reviewed scientific and medical literature
- Distributes NCCIH publications and selected other federal publications on complementary health approaches
- Makes referrals to other federal resources as appropriate.
Patients and survivors of cancer in the U.S.
OCCAM, a division of the National Cancer Institute (NCI), has the mission to improve the quality of care of cancer patients, as well as those at risk for cancer and those recovering from cancer treatment, by contributing to the advancement of evidence-based CAM practice and the sciences that support it as well as the availability of high-quality information for the health care community, researchers, and general public.
- Offers peer-reviewed, evidence-based cancer information summaries on complementary and alternative medicine
- Assists in decision making about CAM, including frequently asked questions, issues to consider, and a list of sources for further information
- Provides information on CAM therapies used by cancer patients
- Provides safety alerts and advisories related to cancer CAM
- Gives tips and information about talking to your health care provider about your use of CAM
- Answers frequently asked questions about paying for CAM treatment
- Lists integrative medicine programs at NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers
- Links to databases that include information on clinical trials, health organizations, and scientific literature.
Please note that these resources are regularly reviewed to ensure that links still work correctly and that the resources listed continue to be helpful to our visitors. If you find that a link isn't working or information is incorrect, please email email@example.com. If you would like for us to consider adding your organization to this resource, please complete and submit this form.